Weekly News Rundown Stories – Sunday 24th July 2022

Weekly News Rundown Stories – Sunday 24th July 2022

Each week, Ben Hopkinson looks back at a serious, crazy, and happy news story from the past week.

Serious News

(London Fire Brigade/Twitter)

On Tuesday, we had Britain’s hottest day on record as temperatures reached more than 40 degrees Celsius in places such as Heathrow Airport and St James’s Park in London. The peak temperature was in Coningsby in Lincolnshire which reached 40.3 degrees Celsius.

The London Fire Brigade had its “busiest day since World War Two” according to London Mayor Sadiq Khan as wildfires spread to properties all across the capital. In total 15 areas around the UK declared a major incident due to the blistering heat. Over in Wennington, 100 firefighters tackled a blaze which destroyed multiple homes, 12 stables and five cars.

On Wednesday, Sadiq Khan said that “Yesterday was the busiest day for the fire service in London since the Second World War. Normally we get 350 calls a day, on a busy day we can get up to 500 calls. Yesterday the fire service had more than 2,600″.

With the temperature having cooled down since, the air is still very humid and very uncomfortable to be in.

Crazy News

(Patty Nolet Sahli/Facebook)

A black cat named Rowdy escaped his cage in Boston’s Logan International Airport and has finally been caught three weeks later. The four-year-old initially escaped his cage trying to chase birds on Friday 24th June. A chase began, and a massive search party was created involving airport staff, construction workers and animal welfare advocates. They used safe release traps and also set up wildlife cameras to try and catch the feline.

However, in a turn of events, an airport spokesperson says: “Whether out of fatigue or hunger we’ll never know, but this morning she finally let herself be caught”.

Owner Patty Sahli says: “I’m kind of in disbelief. I thought, what are the odds we’re actually going to get her back? But I got a call this morning and I am just so shocked. It was such a community effort. We’re just so grateful to everyone who helped look for her”.

Happy News

(Tony Philiou)

A McDonald’s franchise owner has done an extremely good deed for his employees as he will continue to pay them while the restaurant is closed and remodelled for three months. Tony Philiou worked at the same McDonald’s 60 years ago when he was 30 years-old and now being boss and franchise owner, he has decided to carry on paying all 90 members of staff even though they will be unable to work.

Talking to the local news station, he says: “I have people here that make a living here and go from week-to-week pay. How can I tolerate for them to not have a paycheck. You’re going to sit home. You’re going to get paid”.