A nine-year-old schoolgirl who saved her family’s lives following a carbon monoxide leak has been honoured by the London Ambulance Service.
Woken up by the carbon monoxide alarm, Rawda Mohamud found her mother unconscious on the kitchen floor of their south London flat, and called 999.
She then managed to get her mother Anisa Abdirahman and twin brother Ridwan out of the flat and away from the deadly fumes.
A doctor later said if Anisa had been on the floor for another 10 minutes, she likely wouldn’t have made it.
The London Ambulance Service has awarded Rawda a Life Savers certificate in recognition of her heroics.
In the incident, which happened two days before Christmas in south London, 27-year-old Ms Abdirahman was overcome by the fumes and collapsed, hitting her head and drifting in and out of consciousness.
Rawda woke up hearing the carbon monoxide alarm and when she found her mum, she immediately dialled 999 and told the call handler Anisa could not “stay awake or open her eyes.”
She was able to provide her full address and postcode, and then went and woke the neighbours.
Stuart Shelley, the emergency medical technician who treated Anisa on the night, said: “For a child that young to be so calm when something so traumatic has happened is just outstanding.”
“Her actions that night saved lives and deserve to be recognised.”
Anisa, who is a single mum to the twins, said: “I didn’t know how sick I was until I got to hospital and the doctor said if I had been there on the floor another 10 minutes we could have all been gone.
“I’m so proud of Rawda. I started teaching both the children how to make a 999 call when they were four. All parents should teach their children – you never know if you will need help one day.”
Rawda added: “I feel proud of myself for what I’ve done for my family. I think I managed to stay calm because I always knew everything would be ok.
“I would say to other children, be careful and be calm. You don’t believe something like this will happen to you but you never know.”
Taken from Newsshopper.