A man has been saved from a burning car in Welling by a passing stranger.
Abdul Awal, 58, was driving down Bellegrove Road on Wednesday when his car began to overheat. A nearby man in his 30s, who has asked not to be named, ran over and managed to alert Mr Awal, who has impaired hearing, to the smoke and flames coming from the vehicle, and to persuade him to leave the car, despite Mr Awal misunderstanding and initially thinking the stranger was threatening him. The fire brigade and arrived to extinguish the blaze, but the car was left completely burnt out.
Mr Awal’s daughter Iffath Nowrin said the man was “literally a lifesaver” who had “gained nothing out of this and didn’t hesitate to do it.” Mrs Nowrin added “if more people were like this, the world would be a better place.”